When I initially asked the teacher I
have been observing if there were any struggling readers in the class that I
could observe, she scanned the room and explained to me that no student in the class
was drastically behind their grade level in reading. She decided that I should
pair myself with Terence because he is on the lower scale of the readers in the
class. As Terence began to read Math Test
Mix-up, I was surprised to see how well he was progressing through the
book. After all, the book was an H level reading book meaning that it was
appropriate for grades 1-2. When the teacher returned to check on Terence and
me, she mentioned that his issue was more with comprehension than the actual
reading of the book.
Based on what the teacher had just
told me, I asked Terence a very broad question about what the main idea of the story
was. He quickly responded that the story was about two students who did not
receive their tests and had to take it again. I then decided to ask Terence more
detailed questions about why the students did not receive their tests and whose
tests was whose at the beginning of the story. Terence began answering these
questions, but then stopped. He thought some more and said that he did not
think the story answered these questions. As I skimmed through the story again,
I realized that Terence was correct in that the story did not directly answer
either of those questions, though there were strongly inferred answers. Terence
was not picking up on the hints that the author was dropping through the
dialogue of the characters.
This experience with Terence made me
realize that a student who appears to be a good reader on the outside may be
lacking adequate comprehension skills. Thus, I centered my idea for a follow-up
lesson on the idea of how to make inferences based on hints the author is
giving. In the future, when reading with or to students, I will take time to
stop and note interesting phrases or words that the author used to convey an
idea. I hope that this technique will provide students with a good model to
follow when they are reading independently and need to glean information out of
a text. Overall, the running record was a beneficial learning experience for me
that I will be able to use when I transition into student teaching and
eventually professional teaching. Just as students should be encouraged to look
beyond the surface level of a text, I learned to look beyond the surface level
when analyzing a student’s reading fluency.
Candidate’s Name: Damien Beckinger
Grade Level: 2
Title of the lesson: Inference
Length of the lesson: 20
minutes
|
Central focus
Develop reading strategies that help students better understand
why events happened the way they did in a story.
|
|
Knowledge of students
Student understands that sometimes the author gives the reader
hints about what is happening or may happen in the story.
|
|
Common Core State Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.1
Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why,
and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
|
|
Support literacy development
through language (academic language)
Analyze and interpret meaning behind dialogue spoken by
characters in the story.
|
|
Learning objectives
|
|
Formal and informal assessment
Formal Assessment: Student assessed on comprehension strategy by
answering questions central to the plot of the book as an exit ticket.
|
|
Instructional procedure:
Accommodations and
modifications: ELLs/struggling readers: Visual and technology
Struggling
Readers: If a reader is struggling with the text, the teacher can read the
text in place of the student as the central focus on this lesson is
comprehension, not overall fluency.
|
|
Instructional resources and
materials
-Book
|
|
|


No comments:
Post a Comment